The First MACJR'S Mini-Verse² Forum
Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
MACJR

Avatar / Picture

Solar Power
Registered:
Posts: 1,904
Reply with quote  #1 

I wonder if Christopher Eccleston can be talked into doing Doctor Who movies while David Tennant is still playing the Doctor on TV? Maybe some crossovers and guest shots between the Doctor Who series and the movies.

 

It crossed my mind while watching the first two episodes of the 9th Doctor Who.

 

This version of Who is a little darker than I am used to for a Doctor but the effects and stories were near top notch. A few bugs and sloppy moments but otherwise first class science fiction.

 

I am looking forward to seeing more.

 

MACJR


__________________
“They can shoot me dead but the moral high ground is mine!” The 10th Doctor
Questmaker

Avatar / Picture

White Dwarf
Registered:
Posts: 782
Reply with quote  #2 
I agree that this one is a little darker. The final scene involving the 'last human' really showed that point. I know there were a couple other scenes that made me think 'whoa,!' but I can't remember them off hand.
nannyjo

Avatar / Picture

White Dwarf
Registered:
Posts: 1,154
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACJR

 A few bugs .......

 

 

hhhmmmm... there were A LOT of bugs in the episode I saw

 

creepy "Replicator" type bugs that I don't like.

 

Yeah the second show was depressing.... Not with a bang but a wimper.  Yeah there was a bang... but like Rose said... it ended and no one was even looking... no one saw it. All of that history gone... US gone.  And ues it was WAAAAAY in the future... but it was still "us."  

 

The face lift lady creeped me out too.  I half expected Joan River;s voice to come out of her.  And even MORE creepy was the BritneySpears song playing in the middle of the episode.  Maybe that was to show you that some things SHOULD go BANG

 

All in all, I liked it but it probably been 35 years since I've seen any other Dr Who so I had no preconcieved notions about what it SHOULD be. 


__________________
Stay open to the possibilities.
Move without fear. Trust in those who love You
ManInBlack

Avatar / Picture

Giant Star
Registered:
Posts: 309
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACJR

I wonder if Christopher
Eccleston can be talked into doing Doctor Who movies while David
Tennant is still playing the Doctor on TV? Maybe some crossovers and
guest shots between the Doctor Who series and the movies.





Highlander managed to meld the movie and television versions, at least for the final movie. Shouldn't be a problem for The Doctor, there have been a couple of episodes uniting various incarnations, most notably "The Five Doctors".

Joan Rivers is a good call, NannyJo, I found the character reminiscent of Katherine Helmond in Brazil or the council members in Millennium.

I liked when the Doctor had Rose call her Mum. The idea that all time exists simultaneously was presented very nicely. In that sense, nothing actually ends. The point where it is not is no more significant than the point where it is.

The juxtaposition of the gathering to watch the death of Earth, while the inhabitants of Earth had long abandoned the planet, also gave perspective to the importance of it's "ending".

I'm looking forward to more.



__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
Questmaker

Avatar / Picture

White Dwarf
Registered:
Posts: 782
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyjo

The face lift lady creeped me out too. I half expected Joan River;s voice to come out of her. And even MORE creepy was the BritneySpears song playing in the middle of the episode. Maybe that was to show you that some things SHOULD go BANG



I watched it again tonight and caught something about Cassandra that I missed yesterday. The was a line when she was talking to Rose where she said something about where she grew up as a young boy. Also that she was the last PURE human and all the others were mongrels. Oye!
YATHINK

Avatar / Picture

Wandering Star
Registered:
Posts: 99
Reply with quote  #6 

I liked both epis...........

and he is a bit darker than any of the others, but I remember Peter Davison(sp?) as being dark at times......

I also like the little bit of comedy pieces in the first one....

I think I am gonna like this new Doctor........


__________________
MysticStar

Avatar / Picture

Yellow Star
Registered:
Posts: 195
Reply with quote  #7 

Ive liked all the ones Ive seen so far. The storys seem really good, especially the time travel aspect of it which is something that interests me in any sci fi. Im looking forward to seeing the next ones with David Tennant when they are shown.

 

I liked the episodes that had the daleks in them best so far. But I also like the way Christopher Eccleston makes the character funny to watch. 

nannyjo

Avatar / Picture

White Dwarf
Registered:
Posts: 1,154
Reply with quote  #8 

The Not knowing or remembering any of the Doctors, I have have to ask:  Were all of the Doctors this rude?  He really is starting to grate on my nerves now 

The Doctor certainly isn't much of a "People Person," is he?  I dislike how ie is so short with people.  I realize that he is the last of his race so he dididn't mingle much before they all died, but he certainly has been around enough people SINCE then... all times and shapes of them.  You would think that he would have more experience dealing with others... making friends ... influencing people... But I guess that is why he DOES just jump into his time ship and leave.  If he made friends he might want to stay.

For a moment, I actually thought that poor... "kid" (I have NO idea what his name was)  Was going to be the one to save the day; that he would see what was going on and go help.  I don't know, I kind of liked him... I wish that he would have stayed around..  I don't like the way the Doctor treated him.

...OR Rose's mother or boyfriend, come to think of it.  That one ep Rose's mum really wanted to try - make dinner and be nice... the Doc just drags Rose away and leaves.

Is it just me? Shouldn't Doctors have better manners? Can't he just "Lose the tude" 

Did I mention that he annoys me? .... a tad?

 

 


__________________
Stay open to the possibilities.
Move without fear. Trust in those who love You
MACJR

Avatar / Picture

Solar Power
Registered:
Posts: 1,904
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyjo

The Not knowing or remembering any of the Doctors, I have have to ask:  Were all of the Doctors this rude?  He really is starting to grate on my nerves now 

The Doctor certainly isn't much of a "People Person," is he?  I dislike how ie is so short with people.  I realize that he is the last of his race so he dididn't mingle much before they all died, but he certainly has been around enough people SINCE then... all times and shapes of them.  You would think that he would have more experience dealing with others... making friends ... influencing people... But I guess that is why he DOES just jump into his time ship and leave.  If he made friends he might want to stay.

For a moment, I actually thought that poor... "kid" (I have NO idea what his name was)  Was going to be the one to save the day; that he would see what was going on and go help.  I don't know, I kind of liked him... I wish that he would have stayed around..  I don't like the way the Doctor treated him.

...OR Rose's mother or boyfriend, come to think of it.  That one ep Rose's mum really wanted to try - make dinner and be nice... the Doc just drags Rose away and leaves.

Is it just me? Shouldn't Doctors have better manners? Can't he just "Lose the tude" 

Did I mention that he annoys me? .... a tad?

 

 

 

No, NJ, they were not all this rude. In fact, I think this one has them all beat in that department. All nine of the Doctor’s have different personalities and temperaments and most, or all, of them could get short with a person from time to time, but I think that is understandable when you are dealing with humans. I suspect that we humans would probably drive even the friendliest aliens into a state of severe aggravation, or at least agitation, from time to time.

 

The first Doctor Who may be the closest to cranky and rudeness to compare to this current one, but it has been a long time since I seen any of the first Doctor Who episodes to be sure.

 

I do agree he goes too far sometimes. I was shocked when this Doctor picked up a weapon and was willing to kill… but then, this Doctor did lose his entire race and that is bound to have some profound effects on an intelligent being, even a Doctor Who.

 

So, do I like the dark temperedness of this new Doctor? No. But, I understand it and will put up with it for now, as long as it does not get worse. I do hope that they have his character mellow out some, that maybe Rose will have a calming effect on the Doctor and return him to a more humanitarian like being.

 

Something to consider, as the story developed, it became known that the doctor could only regenerate 12 times. That is all they were allowed. A Time Lord’s 13th death was to be their final one. No exceptions. Only the bad guys broke that rule, like someone called, “The Master,” who was a Time Lord, like the Doctor, but who had used up all his allowed lives and was stealing more, he was/is one of the Doctor’s most dangerous foes.

 

I am telling you this because there was a story arc with the 6th Doctor that involved a confrontation with his future self, the 12th Doctor Who… who was a villain in that story. In that story arc, the 12th Doctor seemed a lot like The Master.

 

So, I wonder, are they still following through with that story arc and this is the first stage of that darker Doctor Who? I hope not anyway. I would prefer that the Time War changed the Doctor’s future and eliminates that particular timeline. Perhaps with all the rest of the Time Lords dead, there is no longer a rule about only having 12 regenerations, so now, there is no reason for the 12th Doctor to go evil in an attempt to gain more lives.

 

Anyway, I do agree this new doctor can get on the nerves. I still like him overall, and the stories have been pretty good, but, as I said, I do hope they mellow him out, or at least have the next Doctor be friendlier.

 

 

MACJR


__________________
“They can shoot me dead but the moral high ground is mine!” The 10th Doctor
AStarFan

Avatar / Picture

Proto Star
Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #10 

Loved him in last season and do hope he can do movies. Miss his funny faces and such. The new Doctor Who is a good actor and will get used to him, but really liked the last one.

 

Not ever really seen Doctor Who when I was younger... didn't really know about the show so I can't compare to how it's gotten since, but I do think it seems to be a trend with all sci fi shows of late.

 

Sign of our times?

 

Oh and howdy all and any that pass by, long time no see for some of you. I have not been on the computer much of late.

Glad you could make such a nice home for the nice peeps you got here Macjr.

 

I googled my name on a whim and got here.... and thought to myself, last time I tried getting here I couldn't get in... and what was my passcode, ect? So I tried to post annonymously and after typing it all in it asked for my passcode and told me to log in, lol. So I did ask and opened my email which has beeeeeen... or actually IS sorely neglected among most things of late, and wala... here I am. Funny I don't remember picking that passcode and never would of thought of myself as picking it. I really should keep better track of things.


__________________
nannyjo

Avatar / Picture

White Dwarf
Registered:
Posts: 1,154
Reply with quote  #11 

Star!  Great to see you back


__________________
Stay open to the possibilities.
Move without fear. Trust in those who love You
MACJR

Avatar / Picture

Solar Power
Registered:
Posts: 1,904
Reply with quote  #12 

There you are Star! 

 

I wondered where you had wandered off too. Okay, so I know of at least one place to find you but I do not often get over that way these days. I get lost in that SciFi Zoo and find myself wasting way too much time reading through all those hostile posts. Usually, after a little while at the SciFi boards, I feel that I could have better spent my time here or working on my projects. 

 

As for Who number 9, yeah, I do hope he can be convinced to make a few guests appearances, if nothing else. So far, Who 10 is not bad, but I did like Who 9 a little better... at least so far.

 

I still think it would be cool for a Ninth Doctor Movie crossover with Tenth. Perhaps a two hour TV movie special, if not on the big screen.

 

 

MACJR

__________________
“They can shoot me dead but the moral high ground is mine!” The 10th Doctor
MysticStar

Avatar / Picture

Yellow Star
Registered:
Posts: 195
Reply with quote  #13 

I like the ninth doctor best too.  He was funnier than the latest one.

MACJR

Avatar / Picture

Solar Power
Registered:
Posts: 1,904
Reply with quote  #14 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStarFan

Loved him in last season and do hope he can do movies. Miss his funny faces and such. The new Doctor Who is a good actor and will get used to him, but really liked the last one.

 

Not ever really seen Doctor Who when I was younger... didn't really know about the show so I can't compare to how it's gotten since, but I do think it seems to be a trend with all sci fi shows of late.

 

Sign of our times?

 

Oh and howdy all and any that pass by, long time no see for some of you. I have not been on the computer much of late.

Glad you could make such a nice home for the nice peeps you got here Macjr.

 

I googled my name on a whim and got here.... and thought to myself, last time I tried getting here I couldn't get in... and what was my passcode, ect? So I tried to post annonymously and after typing it all in it asked for my passcode and told me to log in, lol. So I did ask and opened my email which has beeeeeen... or actually IS sorely neglected among most things of late, and wala... here I am. Funny I don't remember picking that passcode and never would of thought of myself as picking it. I really should keep better track of things.

 

I am concerned about your password not being as you remember it, Star. I hope there are no further discrepancies like this in the future.

 

If anyone has a password problem please notify me, or any moderator, right away. I know of one other member who had password problems recently, but this too may just have been a forgotten password.

 

I have stepped-up board security. It makes me sad to live in a world that needs so much security though.

 

Post Revised and Updated: October 9, 2006

 

 

MACJR


__________________
“They can shoot me dead but the moral high ground is mine!” The 10th Doctor
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

Back to Top Forum